There are a lot of people that don’t like pimento cheese! Before you ignore this post completely, let me convince you to try this recipe. I don’t like pimento cheese and neither does my husband, at least not the creamy semisweet kind you can get at any supermarket. This is different. It is chunky, made with real cheese, and is great for dipping as well as sandwiches. I like to make mine spicy but you don’t have to add as much red pepper.
If you are a pimento cheese fan though, be sure to check out the pimento cheese competition at Historic Arkansas Museum this Saturday.
- Grate your cheese and set aside. I think it tastes best with half shredded fine and the other half a larger shred. I also have used 2 sizes of pre-shredded cheese and it is great either way.
- In a medium bowl, mix the cream cheese and mayonnaise together until well combined.
- Add your spices and stir until well mixed.
- Add all of the cheese and minced pimentos with the juice and stir until well combined.
- Transfer the pimento cheese to a covered bowl and refrigerate.
It is best to make ahead of time, it tastes better the longer you let it sit. I like to use it as dip with pita chips but it is great as a sandwich as well. It will last in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.